back to top

Suicide Bomber Kills 6 At Borno Social Event

Share

A suicide bomber struck a social gathering at T Junction in Marrarraban Gwoza, Borno State, claiming the lives of six civilians and leaving several others injured.

The attack, which occurred during a wedding celebration near a busy motorpark, reportedly sent shockwaves through the community.

Security expert, Zagazola Makama, tweeted about the incident on Saturday.

Makama said eyewitnesses recounted scenes of chaos and destruction as the bomber, identified as a young lady in her early twenties, detonated her explosive device amidst unsuspecting attendees.

“There was a loud bang, and then people were running everywhere, trying to help the injured,” said one witness who preferred to remain anonymous.

Emergency services swiftly responded to the scene, transporting the wounded to hospitals in Gwoza for urgent medical attention.

Medical personnel at the hospitals reported treating 15 injured individuals, indicating the gravity of the attack.

“We can confirm that six people lost their lives in this senseless act of violence,” stated Yusuf Lawal, Borno Commissioner of Police, condemning the incident as a cowardly attack on innocent civilians.

Makama also reported a second suicide bombing hours later. A suicide bomber reportedly struck a gathering in Gwoza LGA where mourners had assembled for the funeral of the earlier victims.

Disguised as a mourner, the second bomber detonated an explosive device, resulting in the deaths of at least one additional person and injuring 16 others.

The dual attacks have plunged the region into mourning and heightened security concerns.

Responding to the escalating threat, the military has imposed a curfew in Gwoza to enhance security measures and prevent further attacks.

Meanwhile, the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) continues to make strides in its Operation Lake Sanity II with the surrender of three Boko Haram terrorists in Cameroon and Nigeria.

In Cameroon’s Sector 1, two militants identified as Rawagana Mustapha, 18, and Mustapha Ali, 20, voluntarily surrendered to MNJTF troops at Wulgo.

Similarly, in Nigeria’s Sector 3, Ibrahim Malam, 28, surrendered to the 403 Amphibious Brigade stationed in Baga. Preliminary investigations revealed that Malam had been involved with Boko Haram for six years, residing in Kwaleram, south of Lake Chad.

Commanders overseeing Operation Lake Sanity II have emphasized the importance of such surrenders in dismantling terrorist networks and restoring peace to affected communities.

Operation Lake Sanity II, launched to neutralize Boko Haram strongholds around Lake Chad, continues to intensify as MNJTF troops remain vigilant in their mission.

Read more

Local News