back to top

Ladipo Gunfight: Lagos Police Kill Nine Kidnappers During Abduction

Share

 The Lagos Police Command on Tuesday foiled an attempt by some suspected kidnappers to abduct an unidentified person in the Ladipo area of Mushin, killing nine suspected kidnappers.

Two of the kidnappers also said to have been shot by the police team reportedly escaped with gun injuries.

The state police commissioner, Adegoke Fayoade, made this known at a media briefing at the Command Headquarters in Ikeja on Friday, stating that for weeks, the police had received intelligence to act on.

The command also shed more light on the information in a statement from the command’s spokesman, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, struck on Friday.

The statement said, “Our intelligence gathering assets yielded very credible and actionable intelligence about a dangerous and very notorious gang of kidnappers planning to kidnap some high net-worth individuals in Lagos.

“The CP Fayoade, upon the receipt of this intelligence about two weeks ago, therefore directed the tactical teams of the Command to commence work on it. They followed up closely, monitored dutifully, and were able to determine that the gang was going to strike yesterday in Ladipo area of Lagos State.

“With the benefit of this information, we were able to proactively prepare for them and more or less laid an ambush for them.”

Residents of the area, who tweeted on social media, had said they heard heavy gun shot around Oloje Street, Thursday night very close to 9pm.

He further said, “They were not ready to give up as they engaged the police officers in shoot-out. They of course were helpless to the superior fire power of the police.

“Nine of them were neutralized, while two escaped with gunshot injuries. Four AK-47 rifles, four locally-made semi-automatic pistols, nine AK47 magazines, three walkie-talkies, one POS machine, and a loudspeaker were recovered from them.

“Also recovered are their two operational vehicles: one black Toyota 4Runner and a blue Lexus RX350. Meanwhile, investigations are ongoing to arrest the fleeing suspects.”

He said police had trailed the gang for months and it was behind a spate of kidnappings of wealthy individuals in Isolo, Okota, Ejigbo, and Ladipo areas of the state.

Hundeyin said: “We are proud to declare that their reign of terror has effectively come to an end.

“This breakthrough is in addition to several other breakthroughs we have made in recent times in identifying and apprehending gangs of kidnappers and armed robbers while planning their crimes.

“Many of these were not made public so as to protect the identity of members of the public that made the information available.”

The Police Public Relations Officer urged members of the public, especially medical workers, to volunteer information in providing details about someone with suspected gunshot wounds with a view to ensuring maximum safety within the community.

He said, “All and sundry, including medical practitioners, should join us in being vigilant by quickly reporting to any nearby police station or calling any of our emergency numbers if they come across any such person with gunshot injuries.

“We also use this medium to call on other well meaning Lagosians not to hesitate in giving us information when they suspect anything amiss around them in order for us to act appropriately and act quickly.”

Last month, three Lebanese businessmen were kidnapped while on a boat ride in the city.

Trying to address these concerns, the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, assured stakeholders that the government was fully engaged in addressing the issue, noting that actionable intelligence has been gathered to apprehend the culprits.

He said: “The security of life and property is paramount, and we do not leave anything to chance on that. The very recent incident that happened in Lagos was about the kidnapping of three members of our Lebanese community.

“We are happy that they have been released, and this morning (Wednesday), I met with them, and we have useful information to ensure that the perpetrators of the act are not going to be spared.

“We know we have an idea of how far they have gone, and we will do everything to ensure that we do not give them a space in our city and state. I want to assure all our citizens and businesses, both national and international, that Lagos will continue to remain safe and peaceful.

“People thought the incident happened around the Five Cowry, Falomo. No, it actually happened on the big water on the way to Ikorodu. So they were not even around Falomo.”

Read more

Local News